In 1921, Chester Massey started the process to donate the Community Hall to the Village of Newcastle. He obtained the services of a highly respected Toronto architectural firm, Sproatt and Rolph.
Chester was very familiar with them as they had been hired to construct another building he had donated, “Hart House” in Toronto. This firm was known for designing “gothic” style buildings.
An original poster of the architect’s drawing was placed inside the cornerstone of the Newcastle Community Hall on July 1st, 1922.
On July 1, 2022, the Newcastle community will celebrate 100 years of laying the cornerstone.