One of the earliest pioneers of modern plastic and reconstructive surgery, and an early advocate for patient mental support, was a local man. Dr A. Ross Tilley was born in Bowmanville in 1904. Son of the local practitioner, Dr Ross Tilley, he often accompanied his father on his rounds, early on gaining an interest in medicine. He attended the University of Toronto to study, graduating in 1929. In the years immediately follow-ing graduation, he expanded his knowledge of surgery at the Toronto Western Hospital, followed by stints at Roosevelt and Bellevue Hospital in New York, the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh, and a brief phase of study in pathology with an eminent pathologist in Vienna.